Customer and Industry
Children's Dental Services (CDS), a non-profit organization), is dedicated to improving the oral health of children from families with low incomes by providing accessible treatment and education to our diverse community.
Transform an unresponsive and dated website into a more mobile friendly site utilizing HTML5, CSS3, jQuery, and PHP5 off the CMS called WordPress. (http://childrensdentalservices.org/)
Wordpress, Apache web server, MySQL, HTML5, CSS3, jQuery, List.js, and PHP5.
Since 1919, Children's Dental Services (CDS) is non-profit organization, dedicated to improving the oral health of children from families with low incomes by providing accessible treatment and education to our diverse community. It serves a wide range of people from different cultures and nationalities.
- Children's Dental Services (CDS) website was very outdated and was in need of a fresh look, updated content, and a more intuitive interface.
- CDS wanted their website to be mobile friendly and responsive, with one code base.
- With 2 headquarters and over 50 locations where CDS sets up shop; they needed an easy way for their customers to search and find a location nearby.
- CDS wanted to have the ability to update the site's content on their own, so they can keep the site fresh and lower costs by not always relying on outside help.
- With CDS' rich and long history of helping women and children have a brighter smile they have grown an SEO rankings like no other. Maintaining that score after we moved the site to a new hosting company was important.
- Being a non-profit, CDS had a very limited budget staying within the grant money they had received.
- Alto decided to use WordPress as the platform for creating the website. The advantages of being open source, no licensing fees and minimal hosting fees made WordPress a great choice for CDS. Also, it's easy enough for a non-technical person to learn and use for updating content.
- Alto and CDS worked together to come up with a brand new image for their website. Using bright and friendly colors with a background of a grey neutral color made things pop, transforming their website with a unique and modern look.
- Alto and CDS decided on icons that were universal to all languages for the home page. These icons take the visitor to its respective page where they easily find more information. In addition to the icons we added forms that are available in multiple languages.
- Alto used best practices incorporating List.js to offer dynamic sort and search, while also maintaining full control of style. This light weight plugin to jQuery allowed Alto to develop custom search functionality tailored to CDS' needs.
- Alto's SEO experts are schooled in the best practices to continue to improve SEO rankings. CDS made a significant move which included moving from one hosting company to another, new URLs, and all new content. These changes have the potential to negatively impact SEO rankings if not handled correctly. Alto leveraged it's knowledge and experience ensuring minimal impact on CDS' SEO rankings.
Alto’s involvement with developing a modern website for Children’s Dental Services was a rewarding and exciting project for both CDS and Alto. By using WordPress as an open and rich foundation we were able to develop a mobile-friendly, responsive website with a backend that allows CDS to manage content on their own. The project reached its goal of making it easier for CDS to reach out to more people in need of their services and break the language barrier with their new site.